Monday, December 6, 2010

The power of appreciation

I got an email from an Army Chaplain friend who was in Giebelstadt, Germany having lunch at a Gasthaus (an Inn) and saw on the wall a framed certificate of appreciation I'd given the place for hosting a Valentine's banquet for my chapel congregation in 1997. This seemingly insignificant gesture of showing appreciation obviously meant a lot to them that it's still being displayed. Hearing this made me pleased that something I gave was on their wall (a place I'd sure like to have dinner at now--no German restaruants around here!), and it made me realize how important it is to express thanks to people. I had a Commander at the same time who had a habit of saying frequently to his staff, "Thanks for all you do." Like my certificate, it was a simple thing, but I believe when we take the time to give an "atta-boy" it makes a difference...or as a soldier told me once, "Getting praise is like getting paid."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

5:43 a.m., 5:50 a.m. till' 9:18 p.m., that deserves more than an "atta-boy" ... if "getting praise is like getting paid" then let me give you a million thanks for the long days you put in and for an enlightening blogspot