Sunday, January 2, 2011

Parents Can't...

Tomorrow I will conduct the funeral of a young adult who died from a drug overdose, and try to console his parents--who have lost their future. They will likely feel some guilt, in wondering whether they did enough to prevent their son's self-abuse, in spite of knowing that there comes a time when young people are responsible for their decisions. This personal accountability was highlighted in a wise collection of sayings I picked up a few years ago, called "Parents Can't"...

I gave you life, but I can’t live it for you.
I can teach you things, but I cannot make you learn.
I can allow you freedom, but I cannot be accountable for it.
I can define “joy” for you, but I can’t be responsible for your happiness.
I can teach you right from wrong, but I cannot make moral choices for you.
I can encourage you to learn, but I can’t take your tests for you.
I can buy you beautiful clothes, but I cannot make you beautiful inside.
I can show you what’s healthy, but I cannot make you embrace a healthy lifestyle.
I can offer you advice, but I cannot accept it for you.
I can listen to you, but I can’t make you talk.
I can counsel you to care about others, but I cannot make you compassionate.
I can give you love, but I can’t force it on you.
I can urge you to share, but I cannot make you unselfish.
I can convey how everyone has value, but I can’t stop you from judging others.
I can teach you respect, but I cannot force you to show honor.
I can advise you concerning friends, but cannot choose them for you.
I can instruct you about sex, but I cannot keep you pure.
I can caution you about alcohol, but I can’t say “no” for you.
I can warn you about drugs, but I can’t prevent you from using them.
I can teach you about kindness, but I can’t force you to be considerate.
I can take you to church, but I can’t make you believe.
I can admonish you about sin, but I can’t make you holy.
I can love you as God’s gift, but I cannot place you in God’s family.
I can pray for you, but I cannot make you walk with God.
I can teach you about Jesus, but I can’t make Him your Lord.
I can tell you how to live, but I can’t give you eternal life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this...I copied and pasted this and sent to my daughter who is having guilt issues over my grandsons behavior