Sunday, January 3, 2010

Prayer for the New Year

Lord of time and eternity,
Length of days does not profit me except the days are passed
In Your presence, in Your service and to Your glory.
Give me a grace that precedes, follows, guides, sustains, sanctifies every hour,
That I may not for one moment be apart from You.
Cause me to rely on Your Spirit to direct my every step and prosper every effort.
Give me a desire to show forth Your praise, testify to Your love,
and advance Your Kingdom.
I launch my vessel onto the unknown, restless waters of this year,
-With You, O Father as my safe harbor,
-With You, O Son, at my helm,
-With You, O Spirit, filling my sails.
Your goodness has been with me in the past year;
Your goodness will be with me in the year ahead.
You are the pilot of my future as of my past…
Steer me toward the Celestial City with
my ear open to Your voice, my heart full of love, my soul free.
Protect me in the moving sea, steer me safely,
until I reach the shore of unceasing praise.

(adapted from The Valley of Vision)

No comments: