Thursday, December 31, 2009

Out with the old

In some countries, the end of the year is a time to get rid of stuff, things taking up space, thing we don't need. From a Christian view, ending a year seems a good time to confess sins and put them behind us. We learn from our rebellious ways (hopefully), then move on, wiser for the experience (though I find it preferable to learn from the failings of others). But what happens when we can't move forward? Often the reason is guilt, something that has no place at the start of a new year. Tim Keller writes, "Whenever I hear someone say, 'I know God forgives me, but I can't forgive myself,' it means that person has something that is more important than God, because God forgives them." God's forgiveness is the easy part; forgiving ourselves is often what sets us back from making progress in our pilgrimage. I don't like the sin in me, and so I need to admit it, seek God's help in forsaking it, and keep on serving Christ my Lord...a worthy attitude to take into 2010.

No comments: