Sunday, November 1, 2009

Another Wall came Down

20 years ago my family and I were in Berlin watching the wall come down. I'd been in Berlin as a child before the wall, and shortly after it was erected...and now it came full circle. It was the most amazing thing I'd seen. A German handed me a hammer and chisel and told me to take a few whacks at the wall. Had I tried that a year sooner, I'd have been shot. There was a feeling of celebration in the air, and even the East German guards were smiling.

But another wall has come down, the wall separating us from God. A dreaded wall has been torn down by the sacrifice of Christ, who removes our bondage from the tyranny of sin and sets us free. When I departed the 3rd Armored Division, I was given a plaque with a cross made from the rebarb within the Berlin wall and an enscription under my name: "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free", Galatians 5:1. In Him we are free indeed.

No comments: